Let’s get your free subscribers imported into beehiiv!
2. Click on Publication
3. Click on import subscribers
4. Click on start new import
5. Select which import method you would like to use
For the purposes of this guide, we will assume you're importing a CSV.
6. Click on begin import
7. On the next screen, you can choose the file to upload
You will also notice a checkbox below the upload field where you have the option to send a “welcome email” to your newly imported subscribers.
This is optional and really depends on how you gathered your emails. If you’re simply migrating from another email software your contacts already know you and sending a welcome email won’t be necessary. But let’s say you captured emails at an event, or external form. Then a welcome email would be nice to send to these new subscribers.
8. You're ready to being your import by clicking Import Subscribers
9. Click on Import to confirm the action
10. If you have additional data points in your csv beyond just email address, you can choose which of these fields you want to import
If a contact already exists within your subscriber list you would have the option to overwrite existing custom field data when you import. If you don’t want to do this simply uncheck that box.
11. If you have an existing custom field corresponding to any of the data fields you’re importing, you can select it from the drop-down. Otherwise, you can create a new one by selecting New Custom Field
12. When you click on New Custom Field, you can enter the name for your new field
13. Define the data type
Most custom fields will be strings, but if you have a number select Integer, if you have a True/False select Boolean, and if you have a Date select either Date or Datetime depending on the format of your data.
14. Repeat this process until you have chosen an option for each custom field you are importing.
15. When you are finished, click on Import to complete the upload process
16. Click on Audience - Subscribers to view your subscriber import
Here is a list of all supported fields you can use in your CSV upload:
Note: your csv must include an "EMAIL" field as a column header. “EMAIL” must be in all caps.
Note: if you are attempting to upload more than 5,000 contacts please contact support to have that temporary limit lifted. You can do so by submitting a ticket below.