We're excited to introduce beehiiv's comment feature available on our Launch, Grow, and Scale plans.
This article will guide you through the comment experience from both the user's and the creator's perspectives.
User Experience: Leaving a Comment
- Open a post where you'd like to comment. At the bottom of the post, you'll find an option to 'Join the conversation'.
- Type your comment and you'll be prompted to log in to participate.
Once logged in, you can post your comment. If it's your first time commenting, you'll be asked to enter your first name and last name.
- After submission, your comment will appear with a timestamp. You can delete or reply to your own comment. Other users can also reply to your comment, creating nested comment threads.
- Note: If your email is associated with a Gravitar avatar, it will automatically pull the profile picture into your comment.
Admin Experience: Managing and Moderating Comments
As an administrator of the news publication, you can view, reply to, and manage comments from the dashboard:
- Go to your posts and click on the latest post where comments were left.
You can see all the comments and replies, and comment as the moderator.
- Comments that are inappropriate can be removed, and you can choose to disable comments completely if necessary.
- You can also disable comments on a case-by-case basis.
As a user, you have the ability to report comments that are inappropriate, abusive, or obscene. To report a comment:
- Log in as a user and navigate to the comment you wish to report.
- Click the 'Report' button and provide a reason for the report.
- Click 'Submit' to send the report.
Handling Comment Reports (For Admins)
In the admin dashboard, you'll find a new section titled 'Comment Reports'. Here, you can view the history of reports. Depending on the seriousness of the report and its frequency, you may choose to take action:
- Ignore the report: This option lets the report sit without taking any action.
- Remove the comment: This deletes the offending comment from the post.
- Ban the subscriber: If the behavior persists, you can take away the user's commenting privileges entirely.
- While handling a report, you can leave a note detailing your decision for future reference.
After removing a comment, it will not show up for users. On the admin's end, it will be labeled as 'Removed by Moderator', and clicking on it will allow you to see the original content and user reports.
The new comment feature is a great addition for boosting user engagement and fostering community within your publication. As always, if you have any questions or concerns, please feel free to contact us. We look forward to seeing the vibrant discussions your users will create!