For today’s example of setting up a custom domain with Hover we will be setting up www.newsletterhover.online
You must use a subdomain like "www" or "blog" or another of your choice.
If you are using Cloudflare, you can use this A record to do so with these instructions.
If you are not using Cloudflare, you can set up a 301 or 302 redirect from within your DNS provider's settings.
We’ve also created a general overview video on custom domains here:
By default, we will host your content on your-publication.beehiiv.com and send your emails from firstname.lastname@example.org.
If you'd like to host your site on a custom domain or set up a custom domain for email sending, we have created a seamless process to make that possible.
Note: Custom domain support is only available for users on one of our paid plans.
Tech Note: In order to set up a custom domain for use with beehiiv, you must own the domain and you must have the ability to modify its DNS settings.
Setting up a custom domain for your website means that readers will now visit www.yoursite.com instead of your-publication.beehiiv.com to subscribe to your newsletter and view your content.
You can use whatever subdomain you like but it is common practice to use "www". For example, your site would likely live at www.yoursite.com.
Let us walk you through 3 core steps to start setting up your very own custom domain on Hover.
- Verify Domain Ownership
- Configure the domain to be used for web
- Setting up a custom domain for email sending
A. Verify Domain Ownership
2. Click on Settings
3. Click on Publication
4. Click on Domains menu
5. Scroll down to Verified Domains section and click on "Add Custom Domain"
6. Enter your customer domain starting with "www"
7. Click on Add Domain
8. Copy and paste this DNS record in your Hover DNS settings for this custom domain
10. Click on Your Account
11. Click on Control Panel…
12. Click on DNS
13. Click on ADD A RECORD
14. Select a TXT record type
15. Paste within the HOSTNAME the beehiiv record
16. Paste in the TXT record value from beehiiv
17. Click on ADD RECORD
18. You should now see the full TXT record saved within your Hover DNS settings
20. Click on Verify
21. Once verified you will see the success message and green check mark. This may take up to 10-min to propagate so if it doesn't verify immediately please wait and then click verify again.
22. Refresh the page & Click on Add Custom Domain
23. Add the same domain but this time with "mail". This will be used in following steps to set up your custom sending domain.
24. Click on Add Domain
We recommend you set up a second domain within your beehiiv account that you can use just for sending.
Typically people don't want to send from a @www.domain. We want to encourage @mail.yourdomain.com.
By simply just clicking on add domain again you can just type in your desired subdomain and click “add Domain”.
Instead of putting www.yourdomain.com you can put “mail”, “email” or “newsletter” .yourdomain.com and then use that specifically just for sending. You will want to do that before setting up your custom domain for email sending below in step C.
B. Configure the domain to be used for web
2. Scroll down the the Web Domain section to select your web domain
3. Click on Select Custom Web Domain
4. Select your custom domain with "www". Remember that is for your web domain while "mail" will be for your email sending domain.
5. Click on Configure Domain
6. You will be given a single CNAME record to add to your Hover DNS settings
8. Click on ADD A RECORD
9. Copy and paste your beehiiv records here
10. Click on ADD RECORD
12. Click on Verify Setup. Remember this could take up to 10-min to propagate so be pacient.
13. Once live you will see your green Live checkmark
14. Test your new web domain by simply going to the URL in a new browser window.
C. Setting up a custom domain for email sending
2. Scroll down to the Email Domain section
3. Click on Select Custom Email Domain
4. Select your custom domain with the "mail" option since we will be setting up your custom sending domain
5. Click on Configure Domain
6. Click on dropdown trigger
7. Click on Verify
8. You will now be given 3 CNAME records to add in your Hover account to finish setting up your custom sending domain.
10. Click on Add a Record and copy over these 3 CNAME records into your hover DNS settings.
12. Click on Verify Setup
13. Once your custom Email Domain is "Live" then update your sending email below by clicking on "Update Email"
14. Add a name you would like the emails to come from
15. Click on Confirm
16. Your custom sending "Email Domain" is now fully set up and ready to send
If you have any questions about your SPF, DKIM, and DMARC records read this.