|✻ Available on Scale and Enterprise plans. Click here to upgrade your account.|
An automation is a predefined sequence that a subscriber enters when they take particular actions. Triggers represent the type of action a subscriber takes that instigates the automation, and nodes are further extensions of those actions. There are countless ways that you can customize your subscriber’s experience using beehiiv automations.
A welcome email series is a good example of an automated journey, check out this video tutorial on setting one up.
Here’s what each of the triggers and nodes controls in an automation:
Types of triggers and nodes
Subscription event triggers
- Signed Up: When a new user signs up, the subscriber is added to the automated sequence, and the workflow begins.
- Email Submitted: When a user submits their email via all or specific subscribe forms. (While the Signed Up trigger only enrolls new subscribers via subscribe form, the Email Submitted trigger allows existing subscribers to be enrolled as well).
- Survey Form Submitted: When a subscriber submits any or a specific survey form, they are added to the automation sequence, and the workflow begins.
Premium subscription triggers
- Upgraded: When a user purchases a premium subscription, the subscriber is added to the sequence, and the workflow begins.
- Downgraded: When a user cancels their premium subscription but stays subscribed to the free tier, this workflow begins.
- Manual: When you want to create a segment and manually add all subscribers in that segment to an automation.
- Unengaged: When a subscriber has not opened or clicked an email for a specified amount of time, they are added to the automated sequence, and the workflow begins.
- Send Email: This node allows emails to be sent to the specified subscriber in the automation workflow. The stats for these emails are shown in the Overview tab of your automation.
Note: Some functionalities, like polls, are not available when using the Send Email node.
- Update Subscription: This node allows for subscription details such as status and custom fields to be updated to the specified values.
- Branch: This node allows for the automation workflow journey to be sectioned into true and false paths based on whether specified conditions are met.
- Wait Until: This node allows for scheduling other automation nodes and actions to take place at a specified day, time, and timezone.